Sunday 10 April 2016

Battling Bryony!

Today we had a rough day with Bryony. She is 2 and a few months, and in many ways I feel she has somewhat skipped the 'terrible twos' or 'tantrum' stage. Bryony's speech is great her for her age. Because of this, she can generally communicate easily what she needs or wants. In lots of ways I feel she is more of a threenager! We get lots of 'leave me alone', slamming doors and sulking. Bryony is a spirited child who doesn't shy away from confrontation, and I have lots of days where it feels as though I am constantly arguing or bargaining with her. In so many ways she is so grown up for her age, but in as many others she is still so much still a baby. She needs my touch and warmth in a way her big brother is growing out of, and her crying habits could rival a newborn! 

Today was a flood of tears from start to finish. It began with a trip out to our local garden centre. Bryony decided she wanted to sit in the front seat, and for the first half of the journey she screamed at me to 'get out my seat mummy!' I might add, she has never actually travelled in the front seat of a car in her life, but she did not let this one go. We listened to her howl for the rest of the journey, with poor Austin begging me to swap seats to shut her up! Again, another meltdown because she did not want me to buy a 'disgusting poo' bag of compost. This continued right through to bedtime when she finished off the day with an epic meltdown of gargantuan proportions triggered by not being allowed to take her wet facecloth to bed. We battled, and battled, and battled. In the end, we closed her bedroom door and turned the light off; at our wits end and not sure what else to do to calm her down. Seconds later, she is quiet as a mouse and putting herself to bed, kissing each teddy goodnight and telling them 'go to sleep babies or Austin be cwoss!'

This girl never ceases to surprise me! As grown up and tough as she is in so many ways, I try to remind myself that she is really still just my baby and to not expect too much of her. Not a day goes by where she doesn't make me laugh and I couldn't be more proud of the little girl she is growing into: headstrong, clever and charismatic!



No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com | Header Image by Freepik